Sunday, May 8, 2011

Thankfulness ... A Mother's Day Reflection

So, I've been quiet on here for some time now. Why? I mean . . . we have had plenty of fun times to tell you about. Since I last posted, we have had Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Valentines, Easter and several other "fun days" and memories made.


Well, the reason is this ~ God has been speaking to me in several ways. He is showing me things about myself, both good and bad. Some that I don't think I really wanted to know, LOL. And then there are things He teaches me that make me a better person ~ daughter, sister, wife, friend, employee and (today I especially think of it) Mommy. So, you will be seeing more entries from me. However, the entries may not be as "fun."

Today, on Mother's Day, I am reflective. And I am thankful.

First, I am thankful for my own mother. I am thankful that she gave me life but I'm even more thankful that she has brought me up to be the mother I am today. She has taught me how to care for my family and for others. She seems to be able to "do it all" and still be there for us no matter what. And when I say "us" I mean more than just me and my brother. I am including all of our friends that mom (and I guess dad helped some LOL) helped raise by opening our home to them. And all the children mom has taken care of while their parents were working. And then came my "little" brother and sisters who she grew in her heart and adopted. AND now, being a grandmother to my children. Even with all of this, she finds time to minister to others "where they are" ~ most recently by starting a Sunday School class specifically designed for the single moms in our church family.

Second, I am so thankful for the Mother-In-Love God gave me. Recently, He welcomed her home with Him and I am sad that our time together on Earth was cut short. But the 9 years I was able to have her in my life will never be forgotten. In all reality, I couldn't be there mother I am today without her as well. Her influence in my husband's life is evident as he helps me raise our children. And the legacy she has instilled in my children will never be forgotten. It has only been 13 days since she left us for her ultimate reward but not a single one has gone by that one or both of my girls have not said "MeMe taught me ..." (you fill in the blank - most of the time, it was something about Jesus and how He loves us or a Bible Story). She will forever hold a special place in my heart and I am grateful for her.

Finally, I am thankful for the opportunity I have to be a mother. I know that I am not a "perfect" mother but I strive daily to follow God's will in raising my children. This thankfulness includes being thankful for Superman (since it's been so long, I will remind you that this is my husband LOL). Because, let's face it - without him, I would not have my children! I cannot begin to tell you all the stories whether good or bad about the things my girls do or have done that have developed who I am as a mother. And I'm sure that those stories will keep on coming throughout life :-) But thank God that they will.

My prayer is ... God, please help me be the mother you created me to be. And thank you for the ladies in my life who have taught me how to be so.

For all of you out there who share the title with me . . .


HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!


Sorry for no pictures, but I'm not on my personal computer today.

No comments:

Post a Comment