Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Relationships . . . Easy? I think not!

So when I started this blog, I had an idea what I wanted it to be. It has turned into something completely different than my original plan . . . but that's okay. I like what it has become :-) It has become my outlet. Not necessarily for venting or expressing anger. But for letting the thoughts out of my brain. That's what this is all about tonight. I've been writing this in my head for over a week now. I don't know why I didn't think to blog it before!

So, we start building relationships from the day we are born. We build a relationship with our parents. Other family members came next. Then siblings (at least in my case that was next). Sometime soon after that (or in the midst of all that for other people) we start school and have to develop even more relationships - teachers, classmates, bus drivers . . . Before we know it, there are employers and co-workers. Boyfriends or girlfriends. And for most, eventually husband or wife (which brings more family members into the mix!) and often children. I know there can be other relationships but these are the basics.

Why do I think relationships are NOT easy? They all take work. Well, at least if you want to have a good one. How many of you can say you have a good relationship with someone that you have not spoken to or seen in over a year? Too often, we loosely use the word "friend." I've been more aware of my semantics lately and began clarifying with "a girl I went to high school with" or "someone I used to work with."

I have learned the value of true friendship. This is never an easy lesson because it means you'll see the truth about a "friend" at some point in your life. What's awesome about a true friend is this . . . you may not always agree but you care enough about each other to work through it. AND you care enough about each other to share when you think the other is getting themselves into something that may not be the best for them. And you love them - even if they end up getting them self into a mess! I've been on both sides of that kind of friendship - most recently when my bestie shared that she thought I was making a wrong decision. Turns out it didn't pan out anyway but that's beside the point. We have worked on our relationship enough that we were able to share our thoughts with each other, even though it may have hurt initially, and still love each other through our disagreements.

And in marriage? THAT'S a relationship that takes some work! Why does it take more? Because this is the person that you vowed to spend the rest of your life with. Don't get me wrong. Superman and I have a great marriage. But that doesn't mean it's easy or without its own problems. We have our share of disagreements and frustrations. But with God's guidance and good communication (which in itself takes a lot of work) we work it out. I'm more and more grateful for this as I see the sad reality of so many around me who have gone through, are going through or are contemplating divorce. Such a sad situation for all involved; often because they are not willing to work on the relationship.

What's the point in sharing all of this? Well, basically to offer hope! No matter what your history has been with relationships, there is someone who wants to offer you the most amazing relationship ever! No matter where you come from. No matter where in life you are now. No matter where your life is headed. Jesus Christ loves you so much and wants a relationship with you so desperately that he gave his life for you! The Bible - God's Holy Word - tells us that no greater love has a man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend (John 15:13). And God loves us enough that He sent his ONLY SON to die as a sacrifice for our sin (John 3:16)!

I personally entered this personal relationship with Jesus Christ at the age of 7. I am not going to tell you that life is easy or that it is all fun-and-games. But I can tell you that without Him, I would have no hope for my future. Do you have a relationship with Jesus Christ? If not, I'd love to share with you how you can! Until then, I pray that the relationships we have here on Earth all lead to Him. And I pray that I will be bold enough to begin sharing this story with the other party in every Earthly relationship I have.

Pray for me . . . I'll pray for you!

4 comments:

  1. 1. Love the post. Relationships aren't easy. We can get so caught up in our own lives that we forget to cultivate our relationships. I'm glad that we work on ours!
    2. Why does my picture not show up on your followers list?
    3. I heart you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! Just great! Thanks for the reminders. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I am grateful for the new relationships God brings to us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, I ditto both #2 and #3. My pic doesn't show up on your followers list either. And I heart you too! <3

    Randi, I AM so grateful that God brings people into our lives! :-)

    ReplyDelete